POSTDOCTORAL SCHOLAR, GREAT BASIN CENTER FOR GEOTHERMAL ENERGY, UNIVERSITY OF NEVADA, RENO
The Great Basin Center for Geothermal Energy (GBCGE) within the Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology (NBMG) at the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) invites applications from qualified candidates to fill a postdoctoral scholar position. The GBCGE has received funding for a cooperative project with the US Department of State that aims to strengthen the capacity of foreign countries to develop their geothermal energy resource base. The project will involve capacity-building activities in several foreign countries and the USA, including delivering workshops and presentations, meeting foreign government stakeholders, peer to peer exchanges, provision of technical advice, and conducting geothermal resource assessments in country. The post-doctoral scholar will be working in this project with other team members, and is integral to project success. They will also be joining a vibrant, motivated team in the GBCGE who are dedicated to geothermal science, education and knowledge transfer, and increasing our understanding of the geothermal resource potential in the western USA and abroad.
As part of the capacity-building project described above, the post-doctoral scholar will be responsible for the application of a play-fairway-type methodology to complete geothermal prospectivity and resource assessments in several foreign countries that will be selected for the project. The scholar will lead the compilation, synthesis and cataloguing of existing geoscientific datasets in these chosen countries of interest, develop conceptual models of geothermal systems, and develop and apply play fairway workflows and statistical approaches that are appropriate for the geological setting and data availability in each target country. Additionally, the scholar will support training of foreign government geoscientists in geothermal exploration and play fairway methodologies as needed, and contribute to the development of training materials and presentations. The position requires substantial teamwork and interactions with GBCGE personnel and foreign government partners, therefore we are seeking candidates with excellent inter-personal skills, well developed communication skills, and demonstrated ability to work cohesively in a team environment.
- Lead the development and application of customized geothermal play fairway workflows to evaluate geothermal resource potential in foreign countries of interest;
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with foreign government project partners and other stakeholders to obtain available geoscientific datasets in support of regional to national-scale geothermal resource evaluation;
- Collate, QA/QC, integrate and interpret foreign geoscientific datasets to develop conceptual geological models of geothermal systems in various geological settings;
- Build and maintain robust collaborative relationships with foreign government partners to facilitate project success;
- Update and inform GBCGE team members of project progress and activities, and contributing to reporting of project updates to the US DOS;
- Deliver results of resource assessment to project stakeholders and the geothermal community, via presentations, publications, reports, and other activities as requested by project sponsor, and
- Contribute to the development and delivery of workshop training materials as relevant.
A PhD in geology, geophysics, geochemistry or related field, and excellent skills in oral and written English.
Demonstrated experience in geothermal energy research, exploration or development. Evidence of ability to present and publish the results of research in internationally-recognized conferences/journals. Experience in using ARC-GIS.
Please attach the following to the Resume/CV section of your application
- Cover Letter
- PhD and other degree transcripts. If applicable, confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted.
- Contact information for three professional references
- Copies of 1 - 2 most relevant publications (PDF format)
Word Document – Attach a word document answering the below questions. Applications submitted without answering the required questions will be incomplete.
- Please describe your professional experience in geothermal-related activities, e.g. research or industry projects.
- Please describe your experience and proficiency in using ARC-GIS.
For more information about this position, and to apply, please visit https://nshe.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UNR-external
and search R0106967
The Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) is committed to providing a place of work and learning free of discrimination on the basis of a person’s age, disability, whether actual or perceived by others (including service-connected disabilities), gender (including pregnancy related conditions), military status or military obligations, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, race, or religion.
Location: Reno, NV
Job Type: Other
You Must Have: