- Brunton Award
- Distinguished Service Award
- Outstanding Educator Award
- Winifred Goldring Award
- Honorary Membership
AWG Winifred Goldring Award
The Association for Women Geoscientists is pleased to announce the 2014 Winifred Goldring Award competition. The award, which consists of a one-year membership in both the Paleontological Society and AWG, will be presented to an outstanding female student interested in pursuing a career in paleontology. The award is named for Winifred Goldring, a pioneering woman paleontologist, who became State Paleontologist of New York State in 1939 and the first female president of the Paleontological Society in 1949.
- The award consists of one-year student membership in both the Paleontological Society and AWG, a $250 cash award, and a certificate.
- Application Deadline: All materials must be received by April 15th.
- Recipient will be announced at the at the annual Geological Society of America meeting in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Application Criteria and Procedures
- Applicant may be either undergraduate or graduate student
- Applicant must be enrolled as a student during the period of the award
- Proof of student status (photocopy of student ID, current official class schedule, or transcript) is required
- Evaluation is not based heavily on scholastic ability, but rather on the applicant's motivation, professional potential, outreach activities, long-term commitment to goals, and exceptional circumstances.
There is no application form. Deadlines is April 15th.
- Student should submit a concise, one-page statement discussing how she became interested in paleontology, her career plans, and any extracurricular activities (e.g., research projects, educational outreach, museum volunteerism) related to the realization of her goals.
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member is required. Letters should address the topics above and describe the applicant’s potential contributions to the geosciences and her community. This letter should be mailed directly from the faculty member.
All application materials should be sent as a complete packet, labeled with the applicant's name, street address, e-mail address, phone number, school affiliation, and should be sent to the address below. E-mail submissions are welcome and may be sent as two separate documents, with the email subject "Goldring Award - applicant's name." E-mail submissions must include the applicants mailing address and phone number.
702 Bunkers Cove Road
Panama City, FL 32401
For additional information, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org